Schkopi 4 sous-titre?

Votre site a enfin sa "web TV", venez échanger autour des programmes.
Répondre
PrinceFrance
Official Member
Official Member

25 octobre 2011, 23:37

Avez-vous prevu une version sous-titree du 4eme show?

Si oui, je viens de faire le debut pour des amis donc ma traduction peut vous inspirez.

Merci pour le travail autour de ces entretiens. Ils sont vraiments bien faits. C'est du super boulot!

Je ne sais pas si je me collerai à la suite mais voilà ce qui existe pour l'instant.

A+

Schkopi show n.4 – Part1
Pauline: Welcome to this fourth edition of the schkopi show. On the schedule today, Alfred Bernardin honours us by inviting us in his new pub the Renoma café. He is also going to give us an exclusive interview. The live will be played by Jay Murphy and moon. As for the debate, it will be around Graffiti Bridge. Pauline will join for a very interesting portrait of a fan. Let’s go for the schkopi show number 4!
(entering the café)
Pauline: Today, we are interviewing Alfred Bernardin, Prince’s tour manager. I am very lucky. (She turns to Alfred Bernardin.) Thank for inviting us at your place, in this wonderful café. So, you’re Prince’s tour manager. It doesn’t mean much to us. Can you introduce yourself please?
Alfred B.: Er, Prince’s tour manager, what does it mean? It means you are the tour manager for Prince or other artists. So, you are responsible for organizing, and well, the production of the concerts. It can be one or more shows. IT goes from the relationship with the artist himself at the top and the booking of the room, the security, selling the tickets, the promotion, the marketing, so many things which have to be done so you fans, and other people in the audience, can have a good time when they go to the show.
Pauline: How did you come to work with Prince? From what I understood, it was your father who was first involved and then he passed it over to you.
A.B.: Not exactly. My father, Pascal Bernardin, has been organizing concerts for a very long time, since the end of the 70s. It started with the Rock d’Orange festival in 1975 I think, the first big festival in France. From there, he became the tour manager and concert producer mainly for English artists, mainly rock & roll and pop music. So, he came across Bob Marley, Sting, the Police, U2, the Rolling Stones, Madonna at the Parc de Sceaux, [Michael] Jackson, and Prince in France the last 15 years. He has organized a few Zenith (name of a room in Paris), Bercy, … several major dates like this. Smaller dates as well when Prince played at the Olympia, I think. In 90 minutes, he suddenly called the office because he wanted to play the same evening at the Olympia or the New Morning, can’t remember where. Dad was in charge of the shows. Myself, I follow my father on tour, I meet a few artists, some are famous and others less famous, some like being close to their manager others not at all. Daddy doesn’t know Prince that much. Life’s changing circumstances made me meet him when, 6 or 7 years ago, they were spending a week-end in Paris. Many artists can decide to spend a week in Paris. You probably don’t know it but, being a tour manager, it is a bit like a babysitter. Event or no event, you have to be there for him. If you are not there, you are disqualified (the artist can just decide to go for someone else). That morning, 7 years ago, Prince’s right-hand man, Trevor Allen, calls my father as usual ‘hey Pascal, we are in Paris. What can we do?’ On that occasion, my dad was not here. Somebody had to look after them, taking them to the restaurant, to a nightclub or else. The son was still here, I am a bit more rock n roll than my father, dad calls me when I was packing for my holidays, ready to go, and my phone rings. So, I answer the call and he goes ‘Prince is in Paris’. It made smile but I was not too happy either because I had programme to do surf with friends planned out, but eventually it was my father and it was business, even if it is not mine, I accepted to stay. I turn on my computer and look for places to go to. I write numbers of different people I didn’t know, in order to be arrange to arrange the visit of a place, restaurant or else. I meet Trevor Allen. We go around different venues. Basically, we check if the place is suitable for a visit by Prince, outside inside, the security, different entries,… if he going to like the music and so and so. Prince goes out at 3 am. I was a bit tired at that time. From 3.30 to 8, we kept going from place to place. At one time, he asked me to find Ophelie Winter. I was extremely lucky because I knew some guy who could tell me where to find her. He probably thought I was a star because I find her in less than 10 minutes. At 4.30 am a Saturday evening, it was not so easy. We had a wonderful. I saw him again the next day for the same kind of business. And, they went away. It was no more than a week-end to go out in Paris. I got along very well with Trevor Allen, with Prince as well because, not being too much into concerts and the star system, being used to be around celebrities during my youth, I respect him but not too much on him either. So, I had established the contact with him. Since them, almost every year, I receive a phone call from Trevor Allen who tells me ‘hey Alfred, we’re coming to Paris tomorrow.’ (in general ->) Sometimes the artists come or not all. (back to Prince ->) Every time, I get a second call the cancel the visit. This until two years ago [2009], in May, just 6 months before the Grand Palais, they call me again ‘we’re coming tomorrow.’ I don’t believe it too much, because it had always been cancelled shortly. This time, they did come. They spent 2 weeks in Paris.
(clip of Prince’s visit at Versailles.)
Pauline: This side of the undecided Prince, able to cancel a show on an impulse, how do you orient/correct him, or is it just an image among the fans?
A.B.: You never correct/orient an artist. You can only follow. You try to make it work. It is impossible with Prince. However, it is true, he changes his mind every two seconds. HE tells you he has found one and he is sure at 200%, and 50 minutes later it is no longer true. All you can do is follow his instructions. You plan a show, you cancel it, you reprogram it, you change it.
Pauline: It must be very stressful to work with someone like this.
A.B.: Very stressful, yes. On the other side, working with a genius like him motivates you. He is known and acknowledged by everyone for his talent. So, even if I am not a musician, my ear is good enough to enjoy his work. And, when we work with someone like him, who manages to do what he does, you are so close to him that in some way you touch what he is doing, you don’t really love absolutely everything but in the end it is what happens. If actors play for great film producers, it is probably the same ffect. Even if I am not a musician, when you come to work with someone producing the quality of work, even they are annoying at times, you stay with it because what comes in the end is exceptional. So, yes, sometimes you have a lot of stress, but it also gives you energy. Sometimes you want to stop, sometimes you just don’t want to do it, but it is your job and the final product is exceptional. In the end, you are satisfied. It can take a long time but you are always satisfied.
Pauline: Has there been a date more difficult than others to organize? Or, something completely unexpected coming on the way?
A.B.: No, every date has its stress. Always the same and sometimes a bit more concerning different things. Various cities, various venues,… It is the same as life. You always have something to fix. The Grand Palais was a bit a myth and funny. It came very fast. To tell you the story, it was after Prince had come to Paris in May. Just what I told you earlier. We became a sort of friends and we were going out every evening. He wanted to do an album and so and so. I had planned there might be shows coming around. I had stopped many activities around. They was a summer tour in the south of France which had been planned but it never happened, in Milan, Saint-Tropez,… In the end, we did do Monaco. In September, Prince came at the of the month for the promotion of the album ‘Lotus Flower’ with Because. Daddy and I were sure he would want to play concerts. We had prepared several potential venues for Prince. We had booked a few dates in Bercy, the Olympia, and other rooms around Paris necause we had no idea at all of where he would want to go. We know he changes his mind every two minutes but we will try to do the most of it. I meet him. Everything goes well. We talk about concerts. I feel there are concerts coming in the air. But, we had no idea where he would want to play, if he ever wanted to play somewhere. He goes to this fashion event at the Grand Palais, we got invitations for him, and I nthe afternoon he calls me and says: ‘I know where I want to play. I want to play at the Grand Palais.’ I say yes because I always yes. You should never say no in the business. Luckily, I have my dad who runs a an important business and many contacts, we know the person from the Grand Palais. We call him. We see we can have it for Saturday evening and Sunday evening. A concert had never been played there so it was both exciting and challenging to play a show there. That was Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday evening, I organize something with Prince at the VIP (nightclub) to sign the deal. It was only an idea at the time. We were all in the VIP. I had my positive answer for Prince. But, it has to be him who contacts you. So, I wait for my time. Suddenly, he stands up, blinks and tells me ‘Afred, come on over.’ Surprised, I ask for three waiters because he wanted to speak in private. They bring us to the third floor which was in very poor conditions. The room was very dirty. We sit around the table. We close the deal. The table was so dirty that we could draw the room with our fingers around the dust. And, at the time he said ‘that’s where we are going to place the stage etc etc’. We shake hands. At the time, he wanted to sell ticket at the price of 1000 euros the ticket. But, I told him I refused to go this price. I leave the room. I remember I had a big smile on my face. People must have seen me, and the word must have gone around that something was going to happen. The next day, I had arranged a meeting with him in the Grand Palais. At the beginning, the show was supposed to take place the Saturday. And, there was supposed to be only one show. Then, we said we would do two instead of one. So, everything was planned for the Saturday. And, when we looked at the weather forecast, the weather was expected to be very bad in Paris. We went for Sunday because it would look much better with a different weather the next day. That’s what happened. IT was nice to have the sunlight coming in through the roof.
PrinceFrance
Official Member
Official Member

26 octobre 2011, 23:43

en voila un peu plus:

A.B.: Then we had a lot of work during the next three days for the organization.
Pauline: Okay, I was wondering, is a Prince concert profitable? We remember his tour manager in 1986, Camus, said on the tv news at 1 pm that it was purely for the image but not profitable. The rumour tells us a Prince concert is a 2 million euros contract, or dollars maybe. Is it an invention? Is it still true? Is a Prince concert profitable nowadays or not at all?
A.B.: In 1986, his tour manager – I was not present, and Camus probably didn’t mention it – but it was my dad. Camus and my father were working together. Camus was in charge of the French artists, and my father the English-speaking ones. IT was probably easier for Camus to obtain an interview and make one, he was less shy [than my father], so that is why he was more brought forward. In 1986, it was us, Bernardin. Is it profitable? Yes, like everything. If it is successful, it is profitable. If not, it is profitable too. Prince, like a smaller artist, like a bigger artist, like any restaurant, you have to sell a minimum of tickets for it to be profitable. The higher the contract is, the higher the cheapest ticket is. I think it is true for Prince, but also for many other artists. You have probably noticed prices for concert tickets have considerably increased the last ten years. The public became became more interested in live performances with CDs. Prices for concerts have increased because, one day, the artists, like that, hit the roof. One day, certain tour managers started to offer higher contracts to the artists, because of a strong business competition. When father started in the business they was not much competition. There was more focus on the work itself, putting things in order, producing the show, managing the security, the marketing,.. Nowadays, there are not two or three tour managers but a lot more. Really a lot. In the end, it is really the lure of gain. The artist doesn’t see the additional work from certain managers who do more marketing, better posters, better drawings, better production,… You can good and bad displays, good and bad security. With a good security, there is no problem. With a bad security, you can have dead or wounded people. It happened in Vincennes, well you probably heard of it. Going to the competition between tour managers, a few of them, I think, suddenly doubled or tripled or more the prices. At one time, for example, the artists started to be offered contracts in millions of francs [currency]. It happened once, twice, three times, and became part of the customs. For a years now, prices have risen and contracts for the artists too. But, the tour manager, the producer, doesn’t earn more. It is just the artist’s share the prices increased. Unfortunately, the customer has pay a higher fee - because the artist got used to that, when tour managers started to offer expensive tickets – which meant more expensive tickets. Can you make profits? Yes, if you sell the minimum number of tickets, yes you can make profits. Does Prince have a high contract? Yes, very high, higher than many other artist, probably one of the highest in the music business today. Does he deserve it? I think yes he does. On stage, I think one of the biggest, if not the biggest artist, with different band members. He is brilliant, does it very well on stage, and sometimes full of surprises. When you go to see something, you leave and have seen something else so it is quite nice. I think it is deserved. Now, is it a lot of money? Yes, it is really a lot of money. Do you need a good financial backing to do a concert? Yes, you do.
Pauline: We know Prince has a preference for France. After the concerts in 2007 in London, there were words for a potential residence in Paris. Do you … who managed his life quite a bit in Prince, with the flat he rent, I think it is free now. Does Prince want to come back to live in Paris? Do in a residence here? Do you have information around that? Has he spoken about it to you?
A.B.: This always part of the topics we discuss. As said earlier, Prince goes from one subject to another in no time. So, we talk about many things. It is true he rent a flat in Paris, but no longer has it. Will he rent again? Most probably yes. But, it is not possible to say for sure. Maybe, maybe not. Did we speak about a residence [in Paris] in the past, yes we did. Was it an idea? Yes. Is it the idea today? No. Can it come back tomorrow? I think yes. He likes the idea of residence he did in London, and again in L.A. earlier this year. He might do it one day in Paris. We hope so. But, it is not what is planned for the moment. He is going to play at the Stade de France next month. We had worked on a residence. It was quite nice. We wanted to do it slightly differently, in our one way. We had tought about a residence where Prince would have played in seven different venues - Prince likes the number 21 - playing 3 times in each venue. It makes 21. This would have allowed us to view him in 7 different ways, places. We had planned the Bataclan, the Olympia, le Ciel d’hiver, Bercy,.. well 7 different venues. At that time, it didn’t happen. It is still a subject, not at the current time, but it can come back very quickly.
Pauline: We saw on TF1 [name of a TV channel in France] that Prince visited Versailles. Was it true or did he really plan to do something there?
A.B.: No, it was not a rumour. It is something had worked on a lot during the months prior to the summer tour al around Europe. The idea of playing in Versailles around Neptune…. There are always a few concerts taking place there. The idea came to bring an international artist here. Prince in Versailles is an easy pun, it was quite entertaining, we thought he might like it, so we worked on the subject. I was seen showing him Versailles. It was the purpose of showing the place. We visited the place to organize a show during the following 6 days. We had dates. Everything goes very fast with him [Prince] but we expected that. We were very close to doing it. Really close. Unfortunately, it never happened.
PrinceFrance
Official Member
Official Member

28 octobre 2011, 00:13

dans la lancee...

Pauline: We see you have a special relationship with Prince. Maybe a kind of friendship. He invited you onstage at Arras [2010]. We know you have been to Paisley Park.It is kind of a religious place for Prince fans. Can you speak to us about it a little bit to drool over it?

A.B.: Paisley park, er, it is nice. Hahaha We laughed a lot. Paisley park, er, daddy wanted to take out his camera and I told him ‘are you crazy or what? You can’t take out your digital camera. He is inviting us at his place.’ He asked me ‘are you sure?’ and I replied ‘of course, I am sure.’ So, I put it back in his pocket and said ‘you’re nuts, You don’t know how many CCTV might be installed around. We know nothing about it.’ No, Paisley park, I spoke to a few fans and noticed a few had been there since concerts took place there. Paisley park, it is really getting into his world and realizing he lives on a completely different planet, and really crazy. It is like a big, not very funny, but it is like a big area from the exhibition centre in Versailles where you arrive. I couldn’t believe it when arrived there because I really didn’t expect that. Somebody came with a limo to pick us up at the hotel. When you arrive there, it is not very charming from outside, you are on a big motorway, and there is a big block, with a huge parking - they need space to be able to park cars for concerts – and there you can’t see anything. Everything was locked of course. People came to open us the doors. We enter the hall, hall means dark, no light, and there you are on another planet with a reception area, I can remember the motorbike from Purple Rain was standing there, gold cds everywhere, furniture from different various video clips, it is a kind of museum of the last 25 years. You start “this was that, that was that,…” After 5 minutes, Prince arrives. He is very polite. I can remember he was in very good shape, much better than when I left him a few months ago. He was dressed in kind of Indian tunic, beige, a turban on the head, absolutely crazy. And “Hey Alfred, how are you? And, Pascal, how are you?” He remembered my name and my father’s name. We sat down and talked about various things. What is Paisley park like? You the reception, a kind of dining room with a huge tv screen and always an image being without any sound, ever is dark with several lights, a kitchen where he doesn’t go too often, a concert hall in the middle of everything, a kind of rehearsal room which can probably host 3000 people. On one side you have the stage, and on the other side a mixing table with a kind of living room where we stayed. We saw him play and rehearse for us. We talking while eating about the concerts we organize, and he showed us the poster he drew all by himself with his… it is him who had drawn it and he asked me for my opinion. We agreed on what we would be doing or not for the upcoming summer. Then, we saw on new material, this was very nice. IT was fabulous, he was dancing extremely well. Suddenly, he would stop and go away. You wouldn’t really understand what was happening. Then, he would come back and carry on the rehearsal. You don’t know if he went to the loo or else. He would stop again and say ‘Alfred, Pascal’ while shaking the head and took us around. He wanted to show us the studio. Probably what you would all love to do. It was quite nice. And, he opens the door… there are two opposite entrances to go inside the concert room, and he opens the door. He says ‘ I’m going in. Wait!’ He closes the door behind him. And, he into the room alone, comes back 30 seconds later, what he was doing, it was simply the time for him to go around the room and turn the lights on. He didn’t to open the door of the place we were viewing – a small living room – a bit like when you invite people at your home, when you know them well you can open the lights in front of everyone, and if you want to surprise you tell the person to wait because you want to show it the best way. So, we enter this room, I can remember there was a very beautiful piano, very nice furniture in the 50’s style, extraordinary things., like a place you can come for dinks, he shows everything to us. Then, we continue the viewing. There was nice room with luxury toilets on one side, and a sort of dining room on the other side. A kind of refurbished restaurant, somewhere the group would sit, or a kind of place where fans can eat. We continue the viewing. Later, we reach the music area, with a rehearsal room for dancing, we pass a corridor with golden cd’s, all Prince productions, and then… there is the other studio with more sentimental I think – for him. It had something special, which was the mixing table is with lamps. He was very proud to show us his mixing table which is only with lamps. He explains that’s where everything takes place. It is the heart of creation.

Pauline: You were there when he was working on his new album. Did he ask for your opinion? Were you able to express your thoughts? Or was he completely uninterested?

A.B.: He wants to hear opinions, yes. He wants to know what you think, yes. But, I think it doesn’t matter too much to him. He asks it to be polite, for a feedback, so you say more or less the truth because you can’t too direct if it is really bad, you work for him. But, I think, whatever you say, whoever you are, Stevie Wonder or I, I think he has already made his mind, he doesn’t care, and will only do what he wants. It is my impression.

Pauline: Backstage, is there a kind of distance between the artist and you? Do you come to speak about, I don’t know, religion, or whatever?

A.B.: It is not you who come to, it is him who comes to speak to you about something. The dialog is a bit unidirectional, and you reply. But, it is not me who says ‘ oh, by the way,..’. It happened two or three times, but it is extremely rare. Throughout my experience with him, yes we have spoken a lot, about religion, Jehovah, he complained to me what it was or not, I was curious to know, he took me there, we went to painting exhibitions, we talked a lot a lot about globalisation (world) of music, internet websites, and thieves of music all around, it is the most important subject, approximately 99% of the time.

Pauline: Okay, by curiosity, what is his opinion about the Internet? What does he think about fans exchanging material on his back?

A.B.: Not good, not good at all. Everyone should be punished. Everything should have a price. Myself, I am between the two. At times, I rarely agree with him, and other times I completely agree. There is a little story I wanted to tell you. It will make you laugh. Last year, with all the shows, I was with him and we had rent a jet. Every two or three days we were travelling from city to city. By chance, I happened to sit on the first row with him. Kiran was not here or had gone to London at the time. I was the tour manager, or even agent, anyway with Prince you do almost everything. So, you are alone in the jet with him, there is some pressure because you are tired and you want to sleep. But, you can’t really sleep because a jet is really small. You never took, it is really nice but not big at all. He is there just in front of you, he is sleeping, but he doesn’t seem to be really sleeping, so you read the same magazines, and you exchange the publications. Suddenly, he comes to speak to you. He speak very slowly, with a very low voice, you would better listen carefully to what he says, you can’t ask him too many times to repeat what he says, we talk about this and that, and then we talk about this globalisation, this internet, can’t remember the exact words, we speak about all that, and it was amazing because he starts saying “you see, in China, they understood everything, it is forbidden.” Going on the internet, downloading music, and so on … It was so big that I asked him to say it again. “In China, it is forbidden.” And, there, I was so sure of myself that I replied “no, no, it is not forbidden for the same reason. It is not forbidden because artists complained and petitioned. It is forbidden, because in China it is simply not allowed, you have no internet, you have the censorship, no google, nothing.” And, he ignored me. I think he understood perfectly what I said, he probably realized he had done a blunder, but he didn’t acknowledge or else. It was so big that I couldn’t see if he was actually expressing his opinion or testing me. Maybe, it was not very polite of me to correct him. But, if I hadn’t done that, he might have thought I was an idiot. I had to do it. I don’t know if he said it on purpose or not. My idea is that no, and he was just mistaking. He is human being like everyone, that things he knows and others he doesn’t know.

Pauline: Your relationship with Prince nowadays. Is it still friendly? Still getting calls? Planning new things?

A.B.: my relationship with Prince is still friendly, yes. Business wise, there are things in progress, yes. We decided not to go for the stade de France because it is a big challenge, and neither my father nor me believe in its success. We still like the artist, I think he is extraordinary. But, the stade de France, I have no contact with them. It is Jacquie Lombard who has a good friend who deals with it. But, the breakeven is really high, and you have to sell a lot of tickets not to loose money. The artist’s contract is always confirmed and given in the first place, since he doesn’t co-produce his shows. We simply didn’t want to take this risk. Last year, we organized a lot of shows. Many of them were a real success. Nice didn’t give a very good result. Choice of the city, choice of the date, we will never know. But, we saw it was not so good. What we think about the artist and his value in France and in Paris, we didn’t think he would fill the Stade de France, at least not enough not to loose money. So, we didn’t want to risk it. From an artistic perspective, in my humble opinion, Prince at the stade de France is a pity. I don’t like the stade de France at all.

Pauline: you don’t think he is made for stadiums?

A.B.: not for stadiums which are that big. Let’s forget Prince. For me, it is not a venue designed for concerts. I saw two or three shows there. For me, it is not interesting at all. The sound sucks; you don’t see the performer well, I don’t like this place for concerts. It is my personal opinion. About that, I think is an artist you want to see closely, to see the expressions on his face, rather than from very far away.
Répondre

Retourner vers « Schkopi TV »