Purple Reggae

Lisez ou annoncez les dernières news. Puis débattons-en.
Règles du forum
Merci de citer vos sources quand vous postez une information.
Pensez à faire un copier/coller de l'info, article ou autre en plus du simple lien internet afin que le sujet ne perde tout sens quand le lien sera mort.

La team
Répondre
canigoo
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1986

06 septembre 2014, 09:08

Pour info sortie de cet ovni le 02.09.1, j'aime pas le reggae mais cela m'a l'air bien foutu
d'apres la premiere ecoute .
Sinead O' Connor reprend "I Would Die 4 U" :super:
Hand in hand we'll do and die, listening to the band that made us cry...
LeBaronP
Official Member
Official Member

06 septembre 2014, 10:25

:super: Merci pour l'info

http://vimeo.com/94456552

Marco On The Bass a écrit : Radio Riddler Release "Purple Reggae" -- Album Of Prince Covers Features Suggs, Ali Campbell and Sinead O'Connor

I'm proud to say that I am a huge Prince fan (I even stuck with him through that period of time when he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol). The 'Purple Rain' film and album still remain defining touchstones of my late adolescence and early adulthood. I saw the film the day it opened thirty years ago, during the summer of 1984 and I never got tired of hearing 'When Doves Cry' played on the radio at the David's Cookies store I worked that summer (and that song was in HEAVY radio rotation).

As such, I've been eagerly awaiting the release of "Purple Reggae" by Radio Riddler ( which includes the duo of Fast and Frank Benbini of Fun Lovin Criminals (FLC), who are reggae remix producers in their spare time). After nearly five years, they have finally released their reggae tribute to Prince and the 'Purple Rain' album in its entirety, The album features a variety of guest vocalists including Suggs of Madness who performs "Let's Go Crazy," former UB4O singer Ali Campbell singing 'Purple Rain," and Sinead O'Connor who takes on "I Would Die 4 U." The sleeper tracks for me include the duet between Hollie Cook and Benbini on "The Beautiful Ones" and "Computer Blue" which features members of The Specials touring horn section.

Though originally from New York and best known here for 'Scooby Snacks', FLC was never fully embraced by American audiences, though the UK and most of Europe really took the band to their hearts. The band members in turn always seemed to understand and tap into a uniquely European, and especially British, sense of humor.

Having worked to produce reggae remixes for a variety of artists, the Radio Riddler 'Purple Rain' project is a extension of their love of all things reggae and of Prince in particular. According to an interview that FLC drummer Frank Benbini did, "Purple Reggae" has been a true labor of love that originally came about as a lark and took on a life of its own.

Yeah, across the board. It was one of those things where we love reggae, and we have a reggae remix outfit called Radio Riddler. We’ve remixed a lot of people…Lily Allen, Coldplay…you know, we’ve done a lot of remixes for a lot of people. So we thought, what can we do? He went – “Why don’t we do the soundtrack to ‘Purple Rain’?” I was like – “That won’t work, that won’t happen, it just won’t work”. He was like – “Well, let’s give it a go”, and he did the first one, ‘Purple Rain’, he got the beats ready and sent it to me, and I was like – “Fuck! It sounds great!” Then I got a lot of my hometown players, brass sections, people from The Specials playing on there. I sang all the songs but then it was like – “Let’s get some guest artists on it”. So I started to approach different people and one person I approached was Sinéad O'Connor. She hasn’t sung a Prince song since ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ which was an international number one so I didn’t think she’d go for it. But she did, and did a version of ‘I Would Die 4 U’. Amazing. Then we’ve got Plan B, he’s doing one, Madness are doing one, the singer from UB40’s doing one. So, yeah, that’s a great little project we’ve got going.

The album release was delayed in part to complications in getting publishing approval from Prince and his camp, who are notoriously picky about anyone recording covers of his back catalog. That said, the Purple one finally signed off and the tracks have just been released. Have a listen to preview tracks below:
https://soundcloud.com/radioriddlerpurplereggae
FrEe tHe mUsiC
Official Member
Official Member

06 septembre 2014, 11:28

Voilà donc le cd bonus de purple rain deluxe
Cool :pascontent1:
berny
Official Member
Official Member

06 septembre 2014, 12:18

c'est le chanteur de UB40 ? c'est plutot sympa cette reprise.... comme quoi, quand une chanson est bonne, on peut la tourner dans tous les sens et les styles, ça reste une bonne chanson :)
jojo 94
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1984

06 septembre 2014, 13:54

Fan de Prince depuis le début quoiqu'il fasse et oui par rapport à tous le reste je suis aussi grand amateur de reggae ROOTS et là je suis un peu interpellé par les versions reggae de Purple rain = l'album.
Un conseil allez jeter une voir 2 oreilles via Funk-U , vous avez la totale et pour ma part certains titres de l'album sont meilleurs que Purple rain mais les goûts et les couleurs.......J'en dis pas plus.
J'attends votre feed back.
Exodus
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1992

06 septembre 2014, 14:00

J'ai écouté tout les morceaux du lien soundcloud ci - dessus, en gros il ont repris l'intégralité de l'album purple Rain sans trop se fouler sur les arrangements, en effet il me semble que c'est le chanteur de UB40.
A écouter ça j'en viens à apprécier Blue light .
Je trouve l'ensemble de ces reprise facile, pour la majorité il ont juste ajouter une rythmique reggae sur la structure existante de la chanson sans aucune originalité. Les morceaux ne décolle jamais.
pourtant j'aime le reggae et ces chansons ,mais là je trouve que ça le fait pas.
Exodus
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1992

06 septembre 2014, 14:03

Mention spéciale quand même pour darling Nikki. Que je trouve bien sympa quand même (surtout sur les couplets.
jojo 94
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1984

06 septembre 2014, 14:58

Je n'ai pas voulu volontairement donné mon avis tout de suite pour laisser libre cours aux autres opinions mais je te rejoins à N %.En effet pratiquement pour tous les morceaux une partition sans une étincelle de créativité , je m'attendais à un peu plus de "folie" voir transcender certains morceaux par des parties Dub (root à la King Tubby ou plus moderne)mais là on reste sur sa fin.
Bien sûr Prince n'a pas attendu avec Blue light et Ripopodazippa dans le style. :super:
Greghost
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1989

06 septembre 2014, 15:03

Belle blague. Bon si ça peut faire un petit relais de ce qui ce passe en ce moment...

Surprenant de voir S. O' Conord, vu le peu d'estime qu'elle a pour notre ami. :frime:
Gregory looks just like a ghost...
Chuppa Kéké
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1986

10 septembre 2014, 00:05

C'est une blague de la Warner.. Y'a même le logo!! :mrgreen:
Matthieu
Official Member
Official Member
fan depuis : 1984/85

10 septembre 2014, 08:42

Etonnant qu'il laisse passer ça. C'est inaudible pour ma part. Une sorte de massacre d'oreilles !
Beurk.
Répondre

Retourner vers « Stop the Press : Les dernières infos Princières »